Time machine and mac mini, how to optimise with new virgin router

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by teadigger, Apr 25, 2012.

1. teadigger macrumors member

I have a 2008 mac mini with a time machine, this has a ethernet cable directly connected from an older virgin motorola modem. The mini then uses the network to connect to the wireless network.

1.Is this the best set up method to get good internet speed and streaming.

2. Virgin has sent a new (virgin super hub, NETGEAR) combined modem and wifi router, if i use this will it clash with the TM. Is it best to use the new router as the modem and connect ethernet direct to TM or just create a new network using the wifi router. I am after the best signal and stability for streaming.

2. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Two options. I don't know your specific router/modem type so I don't know if these are necessarily possible. 1 - Disable the routing functions of the new modem, and use the Time Capsule to create the actual network. I'd recommend this option because the network that it creates is very fast and stable. 2 - "Connect" the Time Capsule to the network created by the modem. Then it can just be used for the storage functions.

3. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I agree with this, unless your cable company likes handing out very nice modem/wifi router combos, the Time Capsule is probably better.

4. NickBristol macrumors newbie

I did this myself. The virgin router is very easy to change into a 'just modem' setting, then plug it straight into the timecapsule and it I sorts it out instantly.

5. psxguru macrumors 6502a

The SuperHub is best used in modem mode.

Lots of people experience problems with the wifi part of it - just look on the VM forums and on cable forums.co.uk

6. teadigger thread starter macrumors member

major wireless melt down after virgin hub fitting iphone will not connect.

Hi as suspected it all went wrong, the cable connection fitted very poorly and TM connection to computer went after hours of messing about as i could not get through to virgin help desk. I reinstalled the old modem agin took for ever to get it back first direct in to the mini then set up the Time machine. so the mini and the TM are working together no probs. But gone to connect the iphone and tablet s and they are just sitting there spinning on the connection screen. The tablet s says poor signal. Have i hit something in my manic bid to regain internet access that has buggered up wifi network.