Time Machine and multiple drives question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by livingfortoday, May 29, 2008.

1. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Hey all, I've got a backup/Time Machine question here. Currently I use a USB drive hooked up to my Mac Mini just for Time Machine backups. I also have a Drobo which has all my music, movies, and pictures on it, accessed by the Mini. That's backed up manually onto another external enclosure, just in case something ever happens to the Drobo. Ok.

So what I'm wondering is this. Could I set Time Machine to backup both my Mini and the Drobo to the external enclosure, and thus get rid of the extra drive that's just for the Mac Mini backups? It seems Time Machine will let me do this, but I'm scared that having it write from two different drives onto one single one could lead to problems. Should I try the Time Machine way, or just stick with my way?

2. blodwyn macrumors 65816

I personally would just switch your TM to back up your Mini to the other external, and continue backing up your Drobo to it as you do currently. TM just creates a folder containing the backup spareseimage. All the other contents of the disk are left intact and no interference should happen unless your Drobo backup erases the external before it backs up.

3. livingfortoday thread starter macrumors 68030

I guess that would probably make more sense. Plus, it helps me to avoid the "dangers" associated with multi-drive TM backups.

Thanks!