Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trellaine

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 24, 2009
West Coast
I have my ext hdd setup with time machine for the past year and a half. I just moved and tried resetting up the hdd to my iMac. I just plugged the USB cable into the iMac and it should work again? My ext hdd doesn't need a power source.

I sort of hear something from the hdd but I can't get the mac to recognize it nor can I do any backups.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Try Disk Utility. Finder -> Applications -> Utilities -> Disk Utility -> Check hard drive. Also repair your permissions

O

Ooz

I ran into something similar and found out that my usb cable was bad.

Apparently, these cheapo cables they supply with pretty much anything don't hold the bending and twisting.

Worth a try before you go toss the darn thing out :)

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland

Apparently, these cheapo cables they supply with pretty much anything don't hold the bending and twisting.

If it's just USB it's good thing. New USB cable costs only few dollars

geoffreak

macrumors 68020
Feb 8, 2008
I've also had a USB cable fail before. The hard drive appeared to be powered but would not connect. Replacing the cable fixed the problem.

trellaine

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 24, 2009
West Coast
Nothing yet

Hmmm I switched USB cables and I can hear some clicking which appears to be from the ext hdd but I still can't see it in the finder.

Is it something I am not doing correctly? I thought I just plug it in and then time machine works.

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.