Time Machine and NAS change allowable space

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by andyd409, Jun 4, 2015.

1. andyd409 macrumors member

I use a Synology NAS as my TimeMachine backup disk. I want to increase the quota of allocated space on the NAS to allow more space to be used by TimeMachine. I know how to increase the quota on the NAS, but I have read that when changing the quota on the NAS that TimeMachine recognizes the increase in size, but does not **use** the increased space. This article was a couple of years old (2012) and I am wondering.

1. Is this still true for 10.8.5?

2. If it is still true, how do I get TimeMachine to recognize and use the newly available space?

Thanks,

Andy

2. zettabyte macrumors member

zettabyte

Hello there,

I too am on 10.8.5 (by choice) and am in the process of going all out with my back up system. Here's my set up:

• rMBP w/ OWC 1TB SSD ->
    • Time Machine (2TB WD HD) -->
    • NAS WD 4TB MyCloud HD --->
    • Seagate 5TB HD connected to the back of the MyCloud 3.0USB slot as a back up to mirror the NAS --->
    • Finally, I am deciding whether to go with Crashplan, BackBlaze or Amazon for the cloud back up.

I am also curious about using my NAS for my Time Machine. Do we need to partition the NAS drive to set the parameters of staying within an allotted space? ie... From the 4TB of space on my NAS, I could partition it to use only 2TB and leave the other 2TB space for other back ups? Is this even possible?

The 2TB HD that I have connected directly to my rMBP is dedicated only for TM back ups. I have this drive connected using a Thunderbolt adapter -> USB 3.0 WD 2TB HD, so that I don't have to use up the other (only two available) slots, though I have a USB 3.0 HUB connected to the left slot.

TM back ups are based on sparebundles, therefore, it is forever expanding until it hits a limit yes? From there TM deletes the oldest back ups and on it goes....

So the question, can we partition a NAS? Anyone?