Time Machine and NAS storage units

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Flybymac1023, Oct 16, 2007.

1. Flybymac1023 macrumors newbie

This may be a premature question, since TM isn't out yet but. . . I don't own a Mac yet, but we're creeping closer. I currently use a 1TB NAS unit for live uncompressed backups and Retrospect for nightly local backups.

The NAS drives are formatted FAT32 and, from what I read about TM, it needs a HFS+ formatted drive. I would like to use the NAS and not hang another drive on the Mac. Does anyone think this is doable?

Thanks in advance, I hope to be joining your ranks soon.

2. italiano40 macrumors 65816

italiano40

yea but you may want to format it to HFS, and it sounds like a good drive

3. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

yes, a NAS drive will work fine. It's what I'm considering actually, I just need to find a good quality drive with a decent price.

4. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

I have actually done this during my testing ... it will work on FAT32 drives and also works over SMB. However, it will be much slower then doing it over HFS+. The reason is, it actually creates sparseimages (~3GB per slice) and puts the data in there.

If you can do it with a HFS+ partition, I would recommend it. Not to mention, you won't need to defrag it :D

5. Flybymac1023 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your input. I haven't worked with HFS partitioning before since I am on a PC platform. Does the mac os have partitioning software built in or is 3rd party software better for the job?

I want to try to avoid having to partition the NAS since I have so much stuff on it but I have a couple of free-standing USB drives attached to the NAS that I assume would work as well.

Is it possible to HFS a drive in a PC to act as a TM device? I have a few unused drives in the doomsday machine which is part of the same network.

Thanks again.

6. rockstarjoe macrumors 6502a

rockstarjoe

Xfs?

My NAS is formatted in XFS... does anyone know if this will work with Time Machine? I don't think I can change it without destroying the Raid array, and even then I don't think HFS+ is supported.