Time Machine and NAS

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Barney63, Mar 7, 2014.

1. Barney63 macrumors 6502a

Barney63

Can I use my D-Link NAS as the drive for a TM backup?
    How?

Barney

2. koerk macrumors regular

koerk

Don't know about the D-Links but most manufacturers explicitly advertise their device's time machine capability. Check their website or ask their support.

3. IlikeMacsSoMuch macrumors 6502

There might be some unoficial work-around but it is not supportée by Apple, so if you find a way to make it work, at anytime an update could screw it. Sorry

----------

Some manufacturer (don't Knowl about d-link) might have their own back up software that work with macs but not directly with Time Machine

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Is it this DNS-320L model?. It looks like that model does supports Apple's Apple Filing Protocol (AFP) and I see in the reviews on Amazon it has support for Time Machine, so yes it will work.

The downside with any of these NAS solutions is sometimes Apple will update OS X with changes to AFP and that can break Time Machine compatibility until the NAS vendor come out with an update to address the issue.

When Mavericks recently came out there were quite a few forum posts form NAS users who experienced this.

5. Barney63 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Barney63

No it is the earlier model DNS-320 with no cloud option.
    I think it can be done using fun_plug, but I don't know how to install it properly.

Barney

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Looks like the DNS320 also supports Time Machine.

7. Barney63 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Barney63

So the million dollar question, how do I get TM to see it?

Barney

8. flynz4 macrumors 68040

Are you sure that you really want to? Why trust your backups to a device that is unsupported by Apple?

/Jim

9. ColdCase macrumors 68030

Not sure why you want to trust it but page 90 of the user manual has something like this:

"This.section.allows.the.user.to.configure.the.device.so.that.it.becomes.a.backup.destination.in.the.Mac.OS.X.Time.Machine..In.order.to.use.this. function,.the.AFP.service.is.required..The.AFP.service.will.start.automatically.as.soon.as.this.function.is.enabled..

Enable Time Machine:
    Click.this.to.enable.the.Time.Machine.function. to.work.with.a.MAC.OS.X.Time.Machine..The. Time. Machine. Settings. list. will. appear. when. this.checkbox.is.ticked.

A. list. of. destination. folders. on. the. Network. Shares.associated.with.the.Time.Machine. backup.
    Click.to.add.a.NAS.folder.as.a.Time.Machine. destination.
    Click.to.delete.a.NAS.folder.setup. Deletes.all.of.the.NAS.folders.in.the.list."