Time Machine and Netgear WNDR4500

Discussion in 'macOS' started by robjulo, Nov 11, 2012.

1. robjulo macrumors 6502a

Is anyone successfully using Time Machine with an external drive plugged into a Netgear WNDR4500 router using Mountain Lion? If so, can you give me step by step instructions on how to get it going.

The Netgear instructions are incomplete and do not work for me.
    http://www.netgear.com/assets/landing/readyshare/readyshare-time-machine.pdf

I realize there isn't official support for Mountain Lion, but am curious if anyone has it working.

Thank you

2. icarus523 macrumors newbie

Might be a necro-thread, but I Googled this up and no one had a solution, and I just figured it out - I have mine working under Mountain Lion, I updated the firmware to V1.0.1.20_1.0.40

1. Format USB HDD as Mac OS X Extended (Journaled)
    2. Plug the USB HDD into your WNDR4500 router
    3. In the admin section for the router, just select "Basic"
    4. In the Finder, on the LEFT side bar you should see your Router's Name e.g. WNDR4500 under the "SHARED" with a different icon associated with it - it looks like an Apple XRAID.
    5. Click on this Share, and press "Connect As..." underneath the search field.
    6. Login in as your "admin/password" for the router.
    7. Once logged in check out the icon it will use under the "Remote Volumes", it should be blue with the WiFi logo on it.
    8. Open Time Machine and point it to your new shared volume.

Tada!

3. latestmonkey macrumors 6502

thank you for this. I will try it tomorrow.

Does anyone know if you can backup 2 different mbps this way?

Maybe partition the usb drive to 2 partitions?

4. Bear macrumors G3

You can back up multiple systems to a single drive/partition. There is no need to partition the disk.

5. latestmonkey macrumors 6502

Finally had a chance to set up my Netgear WNDR4500.

I attached a USB drive no problem.

Now, here's my problem. By default, it assigned it a letter: R_Drive. This is what showed up on list of drives under network. However, when I changed the name of it to something more meaningful ("Media"), it doesn't refresh in my network list. It still shows R_Drive. And when I click on it, it says "can't be found."

What to do?

6. latestmonkey macrumors 6502

sorry to bump this again but for those of you who are able to use time machine with the 4500, how do you have your external drive partitioned and formatted?

what about owners enabled?

thanks