Time Machine and Parallels

Discussion in 'macOS' started by krawfo, Mar 9, 2012.

1. krawfo macrumors regular

I'm running Quicken Windows via Parallels. Is there a way to backup my Quicken data via Time Machine or must I do it manually.
    Thanks.

2. simsaladimbamba

Since the Windows VM file gets backed up via Time Machine, though I don't know about versioning, your Quicken file gets backed up, but a manual backup, via DropBox for example might be a good idea, as the VM could get corrupted and not starting.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Your entire virtual machine will get backed up by TM if you don't exclude it. I don't recommend that, because every time you boot into windows, it will cause TM to back up the entire VM. You'll quickly eat up your Time Machine space because of that.

I'd say manually back up the VM to an external drive.

As for Quicken, use dropbox that way it will be synced across multiple computers and will be online.

4. krawfo, Mar 9, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2012

krawfo thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the reply. I'm running Parallels 6 and OSX 10.6.8.
    When I go into TM Preferences, the only exclusions shown are my USB card reader and the external HD that I'm backing up to.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Click on the options
    [​IMG]

Then the + button
    [​IMG]

6. krawfo thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks again. Where would I find the Parallels Virtual Machine to add to the EXCLUDE list?

7. simsaladimbamba

Normally in Macintosh HD / Users / YOU / Documents / Virtual Machines / unless you stored it somewhere else, where a Spotlight search and using "windows" as search term might lead you.