Time Machine and partitioned HD

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Racktacular, Dec 25, 2007.

1. Racktacular macrumors regular

I just installed Leopard on my macbook. Let me set the scene. I don't have any other computers. I don't have an external HD. I have bootcamp installed and a partitioned HD for Windows XP within bootcamp.

Now, I would like to still use Time Machine. I do realize that if my entire mac crashes I will still lose everything. I realize that I should get an external HD. With that aside, I want to install Time Machine just in case I delete a document/picture/e-mail/game/whatever, so I can retrieve it.

When I go to set up Time Machine it asks me to choose a backup disk. The only option it gives me is my partitioned HD. When I choose that option it tells me that it needs to be reformatted before moving forward. My question is whether or not my bootcamp, and thus the things I have installed on Windows XP, will be deleted as well? Or will it just reformat it on the mac side and thus leaving the bootcamp side and all the programs installed via XP alone?

Thanks for all responses in advance!

- Rack

2. gcrowell macrumors member

Time Machine owns any partition it uses, so in your case, the only way to use TM is to loose your Boot Camp install.

You could create another partition just for TM, however. Big PITA- better option- 160 gig external USB drive, bus powered is less than 100 skins.

3. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Yes, it would reformat your Windows partition, erasing everything. (Time Machine requires the partition to be formated HFS.)

4. Racktacular thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for the responses. That's what I thought.

So how cheap can I get an external HD (or USB drive) that will effectively copy my macbook?

5. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau