Time Machine and Photos

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Ram171, May 3, 2015.

1. Ram171 macrumors member

Ram171

Hello all,

I haven't been able to find a post on this so i decided to ask.

I've recently placed my Photos library on an external drive as to save space on my MBP HDD. When using Time Machine, will it back up the Photos library? Or bypass it since its external? If its not covered by Time Machine, what are some ideas to back it up? Does Photos have a vault like Aperture?

2. Kg4zlb macrumors member

Kg4zlb

Time machine can be set to either include or ignore an external HDD. Like you, I wanted to save space so kept them on my ext HDD - I have just finished importing them to Photo and then up to iCloud for a second back-up!

HTH

David

3. Ram171 thread starter macrumors member

Ram171

so do I need another external drive? A different one? To put the Time Machine Backups?

4. Kg4zlb macrumors member

Kg4zlb

Unless I am misunderstanding, no! Time Machine will back up everything on your Mac plus everything else you select it to do so - so by adding your ext HDD to the TM backup, you would have your back up in TM PLUS the originals on your ext HDD. Time Machine IS the backup drive!

5. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68020

Apple recommends that you have a separate drive for Time Machine, but it's not mandatory.

External drives (USB, Thunderbolt, Firewire) are not included by default in Time Machine. To add an external drive, open the Options... section in System Preferences > Time Machine.

Photos does not have a Vault like Aperture (iPhoto doesn't, either). You can switch between multiple libraries, but there's no provision for Vaults, merging libraries, or splitting libraries. (If you're using iCloud Photo Library you can add the contents of more than one library to the iCloud library).

6. Kg4zlb macrumors member

Kg4zlb

Yes, sorry - I just re-read! TM requires a destination to back up to and an ext HDD would be ideal. Personally I have an Airport Time Capsule which does everything for me.

7. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Not much point in using a drive for both data and TM. When the drive dies, they all do eventually, you lose the data and backup. Always use separated dedicated drives for backups.

8. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

Yes - never put data and backups on the same drive. Drives are cheap compared to trying to get your photos back when the drive fails.