Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mac'in'toss'ed

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 27, 2008
Hi guys!
I am trying to backup my MB SR, Leopard using time machine on a Freecom USB 500 gig hard drive. It is going really slow:( and i wonder if there is any way to increase the speed of the backup and utilize the so called "high speed USB" .
Thanks,
Mac'in'toss'ed

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
No, USB is actually not that quick. Especially if its the first backup that will take a while.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
Hi guys!
I am trying to backup my MB SR, Leopard using time machine on a Freecom USB 500 gig hard drive. It is going really slow:( and i wonder if there is any way to increase the speed of the backup and utilize the so called "high speed USB" .
Thanks,
Mac'in'toss'ed

I don't think so, time machine basically just copies all of your data from one disk to another, so it is the same as dragging it from the finder to the other disk albeit in a much better organization.

you could try quitting all other apps, but USB is very slow, and that's as fast as "high speed USB" gets.

logana

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
Scotland
Okay, but it has been about 6 hours now and it is only 8GB of backup as yet of the 35GB!

Just a thought - it sounds like it is running at USB 1.1 speed - check in about this Mac - more info that it is actually connected to the high-speed USB bus.

Sometimes it does not recognize the higher speed.

mreg376

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Okay, but it has been about 6 hours now and it is only 8GB of backup as yet of the 35GB!

That's a bit slow. I have a new Imac and Time Machine backed up about 25GB in about 15 minutes. And that was to an external drive I hobbled together from a previously used 250GB SATA drive in a hard disk enclosure.

EB66

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2008
usb is terrible compared to firewire....bottom line

and esata is even better

mac'in'toss'ed

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 27, 2008
Just a thought - it sounds like it is running at USB 1.1 speed - check in about this Mac - more info that it is actually connected to the high-speed USB bus.

Sometimes it does not recognize the higher speed.

Though my backup is done quite some time ago, but the USB was indeed high speed

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.