time machine and snow leopard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by tongteh, Aug 29, 2009.

1. tongteh macrumors 6502

Very quickly, i just want to know if time machine would delete all you previous leopard backup upon upgrading to snow leopard???

cause right now, that's exactly what's happening.. i upgraded to snow leopard yesterday, and did a sync today. what i realise is that, time machine is deleting all my previous leopard backup? is this usual?? can i retrive my previous backups?? :( thanks

2. ian.maffett macrumors 6502

ian.maffett

I just checked mine and everything is intact.

3. tongteh thread starter macrumors 6502

hmmm... now that's strange.. :( i have just lost all my previous backups then.. :( did you notice any speed differences in doing a backup? cause i still feels like its taking forever..

4. Drewsky87 macrumors 6502

Drewsky87

Are the backups completely erased off of the disk or is it that you just can't access the backups through TM? Also, is your disk full by any chance? I ask b/c TM can be set to erase previous backups to make space for current ones.

5. P Mentior macrumors regular

Snow Leopard did a real number on my time machine backups. First it would have trouble finding and mounting the disk off the network and then it would take forever to just calculate the changes. When it finally got around to backing up it went slower then molasses in a snow storm. I ended up just starting from scratch after making sure I had everything I needed off of it. Now it is working just fine.

6. cmaier macrumors G3

I'm using a weird setup (time machine backups to an Infrant ReadyNAS over wifi) and it worked fine, and much faster than under Leopard.

In fact, I had my mainboard replaced last week (nVidia defect) and that caused me many more problems than did the upgrade to SL.

7. tongteh thread starter macrumors 6502

it's really strange.. :( now i got all my previous backup wiped out.. and it's stuck at checking changes 99%!! :( haven't had any great experiences with snow leopard so far!! :(

8. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

My Time Machine backup is still intact from before my upgrade. In fact I have had no problems and it runs very smoothly and back ups faster than it did previously by ethernet. Can you delete your time machine and start again? I know that defeats the object of a backup, but it would be better to get it working on snow leopard to back up all your new files!

9. clindner macrumors regular

I am having what appears to be a time machine issue also.

Last night, I did a Time Machine backup, then installed Snow Leopard as Apple intended over my Leopard install.

Now, today, I started a new backup, seeing that everything had been working great. It determined that about 8 GB of files had changed, and proceeded to back them up. So far, it has been running for 4.5 hours, and has only backed up 5 GB so far.

My Time Machine disk is an external firewire disk, and I don't use it for anything but Time Machine backups.

Is it doing some sort of first time review of all the files in my Time Machine backup? I've been using this disk since January 2008. I've tried searching, and haven't seen anyone else with this specific problem.

10. Balooba macrumors member

Problems here, TM over LAN

I have run into problems since upgrading to Snow Leopard. I am running Time Machine to backup to a Western Digital USB drive connected to my Airport Extreme base station using AirDisk (unsupported of course). It worked fine under Leopard but since the upgrade, the sparse bundle image cannot be mounted. As a consequence the backup never starts.

Disk Utility says the sparse bundle is damaged, but since the same thing happens for my wife's TM backup I think nothing is wrong with the sparse bundle at all.

Does anybody else have this issue? Suggestions?

11. idesign245 macrumors 6502

I seem to be having issues as well, it seems Time Machine wants to back up the entire hard drive instead of just whats changed since my last back up (done right before upgrading to snow leopard) and I get an error saying theres not enough room on my external hard drive to do the back up.

Attached Files:

12. cmaier macrumors G3

Let it finish and see how subsequent backups go. Mine froze at around 5 GB for about an hour, than shot through the rest.

13. Morod macrumors 68000

Morod

I believe Spotlight needs to index all the stuff in an initial backup and that's why it takes so long the first time. Subsequent backups should take no time at all, comparatively speaking.

14. tirzah macrumors newbie

I did a clean install and all went well. In TM, under devices, my last Leopard update was listed above my current. I click on that and a slew of old backups popped up. I only mention this as I feared mine were gone too.

15. The ArchAngel macrumors regular

No issues here, though I did have to go back into the Time Capsule and rename/move my old TM backup to avoid having my new SL backups appended to it.

Note: I did erase my drive and do a fresh SL install.

16. tongteh thread starter macrumors 6502

YES!!! i am having the EXACT problem.. i ended deleting "Backups.backupdb" since all my previous backups are gone anyways.. :( i am not sure if its safe to do so tho.. but right now, my Time machine is working again..

17. clindner macrumors regular

Have you done any backups since that first long one? Did it work properly?

Mine did finally finish, but I haven't tried any other backups since.

18. Dale Cooper macrumors regular

Dale Cooper

Guess it's to late now, but it should be possible to look through older Time Machine backups by option-clicking the Time Machinge icon and chosing "Browse other Time Machine disks". However, you would still have to make a new backup.

19. zepprock7 macrumors newbie

So when you run TM in SL and backup your clean HD, does it save your TM files from Leopard? I want to start using TM so I can always revert back to a clean HD but I also want to keep some of my old leopard files just in case. Can you have two separate backups, one that gets updated with SL and one that just has all old leopard stuff on it?