Time machine and space requirements

Discussion in 'macOS' started by swither, Jun 21, 2007.

1. swither macrumors newbie

Hi!

I'm planning to buy an external drive but i was thinking that i should check so it will be enough for time machine when leopard comes out. Won't time machine require quite much space? I have a blackbook with 120gb harddrive, and if i want it backed up with time machine i guess if i have for an example a 250 gb external drive that i will only be able to have 2 backups total? I mean that's not very much.

What are your thoughts about this?
    And have there been any official info about this?

Daniel Malmquist

2. janey macrumors 603

janey

time machine doesn't make two copies of it, it only records changes between backups, so it doesn't have to copy redundant things.

depending on what kind of files you work with though, that may add up pretty fast.

A 500gb internal drive is only $99, enclosure like maybe another $30, is that too much?

3. swither thread starter macrumors newbie

hm, that's true. Is it possible to chose directories which you don't want time machine to back up? Cause i really only need to back up photos and documents and so on, but i have a lot of other stuff as well on my disc.

4. janey macrumors 603

janey

This is all in the preferences for time machine. (and also on the apple.com page about time machine...)

5. swither thread starter macrumors newbie