Time Machine and the iPod

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Telp, Oct 19, 2007.

1. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

Is it possible to use Time Machine with an iPod? Would that work?

2. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    You don't want to do that.

If you mean to use your iPod as the backup device TimeMachine uses... why do that? Provided you even have a non-Flash iPod, you're disk should not be used as a permanent drive, being written to every hour by TimeMachine. Currently Apple is selling Iomega External 500 GB drives for $140. You can get another internal 300-500 GB drive for around $100. No reason to use an iPod, and possibly wear out its hard drive earlier than you otherwise would. Drives are SUPER cheap now. Even cheaper on eBay, though I'd recommend always buying a new one from a reputable outlet.

iPods are for media playback. That's my advice.

If you mean to use Time Machine with the CONTENT of the iPod, then there might be a misunderstanding at work. iPods, generally speaking, are a one-way transaction with exceptions. You sync TO them, you don't make a habit of copying FROM them (getting iTunes purchased tracks, clever desktop work and 3rd party software solutions notwithstanding), leastwise for use with TimeMachine. TimeMachine will backup your music directory from your computer, so if that's what you want... that's exactly what it will do.

~ CB

3. RumMunkey macrumors 6502a

RumMunkey

I'll +1 the "Drives are so cheap you gotta run Time Machine correctly" thought.

I have a 500 GB drive that I'm going to put in an external enclosure and dedicate to nothing but Time Machine. It was $100. The enclosure I think was $30.

I'm getting a 2.4 Ghz iMac with the 500 GB drive, so I should be OK with 1:1 backup : original drive space.

4. Telp thread starter macrumors 68040

Telp

Thank you for the suggestions but I don't really care how bad it is for the iPod. I just wanted to know if it would work.

5. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

It's a USB storage drive, so it will work for now (unless Apple specifically makes it NOT work). 3600/4200 RPM vs. 7200 RPM. Meh.

Not trying to shovel extraneous info at you, but its important to note its a bad idea either way.

~ CB

6. Telp thread starter macrumors 68040

Telp

Thanks for the sites, really. I dont use the iPod anymore so i dont care if it breaks, but i really just wanted to know if apple, as you said, specifically makes it not work. Thanks for the help though. I will try it anyway, and if it works thats great, and if it doesnt thats great too.

7. leodavinci0 macrumors 6502

I was going to do the same thing with my old ipod

I was wondering the same thing as Telp; hopefully it works. I like the idea of having an ultraportable backup drive with me while traveling.

8. Telp thread starter macrumors 68040

Telp

It doesnt have to be connected all the time eiter does it? You can disconnect it when you want.

9. leodavinci0 macrumors 6502

Manual Backup

There's an option for manually backup, so constant connection should not be required.

edit: If you do have it set to automatic you can also disconnect it and it will make the necessary backup once the drive is plugged in again. From apple's website:

"When your mobile Mac is connected to your backup drive, Time Machine works as you’d expect. When it isn’t connected, Time Machine also works as you’d expect. It keeps track of which files have changed since the last backup and backs them up to your backup drive the next time you connect. On any Mac, if Time Machine is unable to perform a backup, that’s duly noted in its preferences pane."

10. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

I have a friend wondering about his laptop backup options too. There are some nice ultra-portable small profile USB drives out there he's been planning on. Either he or I will be quizing an Apple genius this weekend. I'm a little suprised that a network drive off of my Airport Extreme seems to be off the table.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=223065

~ CB

11. Telp thread starter macrumors 68040

Telp

Perfect.

12. Slip macrumors 6502a

Slip

Eeek, Id be scared to burn out the drive personally. And that first backup is gunna take tiiime :)
    Manual backup to it worked for me though before I got my nice external ;)