Time Machine and user accounts

Discussion in 'macOS' started by daurgo2001, Jan 3, 2012.

1. daurgo2001 macrumors newbie

Hello!

I can't seem to find this online anywhere....

How can I configure TM to ONLY backup MY user account on my computer?... instead of backing up the whole computer's 6-user HD?

I assume it's going to have something to do with: TM --> Options --> "Exclude these items from backups"

...but the most obvious solution of clicking on the 'home' folders of each user only excludes a negligible amount of information vs the 100's of gb's that each user actually has on this HD.

Thanks for any help!
    - David

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

If you are adding /Users/Username to the exclude area you mentioned, that should stop TM from backing up everything in that users account. If it is not, maybe the user has data stored outside that folder structure like in a shared folder.

3. daurgo2001 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey!

I assume this is what you mean?

[​IMG]

If I click 'Exclude' on either of those user folders, it excludes a few dozen KB's for each folder.

It seems like folders are some how shared between users on this computer. What do I need to do to unshare everything and make it so I can back up *only* my data?

Thank you!
    - David

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes... that is exactly where I am talking about.

What if you go to the Finder and select that alexuribe folder for example and do command-i for info... see what Finder tells you the total file size in that folder is. That amount should be what is shown as excluded when adding that in the exclude area of Time Machine.

How about login to each of those accounts and look in their iTunes and iPhoto settings to see if they have stored that data in another folder outside their home.