Time Machine and User Library Sharing?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Kan-O-Z, Mar 20, 2008.

1. Kan-O-Z macrumors 6502

I currently have Tiger and I have it set up exactly the way I want it. There are two users on our computer. The two users share iLife libraries(iPhoto, iWeb, iMovie, iDVD, iTunes, Garageband). Other things like email, contacts, calendar, iChat, etc are not shared and each user has their own.

The sharing was made possible using ACL (Access Control Lists). I created another folder under the users called 'Shared', applied ACL, moved all of the iLife libraries to that folder. I then redirected the iLife programs to use these libraries instead of the independent ones under each user. This works perfectly. I don't know if there is an easier way to do this but this method definitely works.

Now on to my questions.

1. If I have this setup and I upgrade to Leopard, how will time machine handle or manage this shared folder? Will there be complications with this setup and time machine?

2. If you don't think this technique will work with Leopard and time machine, how do you recommned setting up shared libraries between users?

I wish Apple would make this library sharing between users easier.

Kan-O-Z

2. Kan-O-Z thread starter macrumors 6502

3. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

Time Machine backs up Everything, and i mean EVERYTHING as Scott Forstall said (except useless files such as caches) so all permissions and everything you setup in the Shared folder will remain. should work fine.

4. Kan-O-Z thread starter macrumors 6502

When a user is logged in, woud Time Machine backup stuff in another user's folder? The reason I ask is because the shared folder I have created is on the user level:

Example:
    /Users/User1
    /Users/User2
    /Users/Shared

Perhaps Time Machine doesn't really care and it backs up all changes on the drive. But then aren't there access problems accessing files on other user accounts?

Kan-O-Z

5. Kan-O-Z thread starter macrumors 6502

Anyone have any additional information on my post above?

Kan-O-Z

6. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Time Machine is not running at the User level, so yes, it can back up things from other user folders without any issue.

jW

7. aristobrat macrumors G4

It backups the the entire drive, including other users' home folders, even if you (the logged on user) don't have permissions to read them.

8. Kan-O-Z thread starter macrumors 6502

That's great. I can continue using ACLs to have access to libraries across different users with Time Machine.

Thanks!

Kan-O-Z