Time Machine and VMware Fusion

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by billfoss47, May 24, 2009.

1. billfoss47 macrumors newbie

Does Time Machine and my McBook Pro back up the date in my virtual PC under VMware Fusion (and in the virtual PC) ?

2. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

I wouldn't think so as the VMware Fusion has it's own partition.

3. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Wirelessly posted (BB 8900: BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.101 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/301)

Vmware fusion can utilize a bootcamp partition, but doesn't by default have its own partition. The virtual OS sits in the folder destination of your choosing. There isn't any readon you can't set up TC to backup that folder too.

4. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

You can, but I wouldn't recommend it - every time a single byte changes on your virtual HD it will cause Time Machine will back up the whole Virtual HD on the next backup, which will very quickly fill your Time Machine drive!

5. followme macrumors regular

followme

My recommendation is that you remove the virtual machine folder from your TM backup list. As has been mentioned, the slightest change to your virtual machine (= any use, even booting it up) would cause it to be flagged for back up, and that means a whole new copy of your virtual machine is being copied. If your VM is 16GB, every single use of your VM would mean another 16GB file on your TM backup drive.

That would fill your drive fast, and rob valuable space from your "real" backup needs.

If you really need the VM backed up as well, I recommend manually backing it up once daily. Before shutting your computer off for the night, manually copy the VM to your backup drive in a folder you create. If you want to be really efficient, partition your backup drive into two parts, and leave a small partition for manual backup content (like your VM or Entourage database).