Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jessesaint

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 17, 2010
I have a 2010 Macbook Pro running, of course, Snow Leopard. I have had this error, however, for a long time, previously on my black Macbook, also running Snow Leopard.

Here's the annoying problem. I have a stand on my desk at work where I have my Time Machine drive and a keyboard, mouse and monitor. When I eject the Time Machine drive to take my laptop home, I get (I assume every hour or so), an error that "the backup disk is not available". I know it's not available. Even when I turn Time Machine off, I still get it. When I try to watch a movie on Netflix or a ballgame on ESPN3, I always get interrupted by this error. It always pops up on top so it trumps everything unless I am in Front Row.

Is there any way of getting this error message to go away? Telling me one time is fine, but every hour for ever is really annoying. I would think that even turning off Time Machine altogether would certainly stop it, but it doesn't.

Any suggestions (or preferrably help based on experience) would be great.

Thanks in advance!

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
You shouldn't be getting this error at all. TimeMachine isn't supposed to yell at you like that. Have you checked all the settings to see if maybe one is changed up that makes it do that?

tmacdjd

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2009
i imagine this is due to the automatic backups it attempts to run from the Time Machine preferences,

When you eject your time machine do you switch the Time machine OFF fully in the preferences or just at the eject stage?

mstrze

macrumors 68000
Nov 6, 2009
I only plug in my wife's back-up external maybe once a month and she never gets this message, even with TM enabled to update once-an-hour as usual.

As iThinkergoiMac said, this shouldn't be happening...check preferences/settings.

In my set-up we just have TM running as speced with no adjustments. We just plugged in the external to her MB originally and chose it as the TM drive, it did its back-up, we ejected it and never saw a disk message like you are getting. I have done several back-ups since then...again with no issues.

Maybe you have another back-up process running? Or a program that backs itself up automatically?

Does TM even call it's HDD a 'back-up disc?' I'm not sure.

Will72

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2011
Time Machine error message interrupts every program

Happens to me too on a MBP running Leopard (10.5.8). TM is fully "off" in the preferences. Extremely annoying.

Both myself (MacBookPro) and my mother-in-law (iMac) are having this problem. I can't turn the Time Machine off either in the System Preferences nor using a third party Time Machine scheduler - I tried several. They are able to change the frequency from every hour to my choice of every-so-many hours.

I can't use my laptop for professional presentations as the error message will kick it out of a PowerPoint or KeyNote full screen presentation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.