Time Machine appears not to work with Samsung Spinpoint 1TB F1 Hard Drive.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Jebaloo, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Jebaloo macrumors 6502

Hey, I've been trying to get Time Machine to do its thing for about 2 days now. It's got about 600GB to get through in total, and currently it's sitting with 50GB left. About every 20GB-100Gb it stops saying that an error occurred, then I have to tell it to start backing up again. When I do this, it takes maybe an hour to get through the first 1 MB, then it zooms up in GB's till it stops again.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is it my backup HD?

I'm on a Macpro with two internal HD's that it should be backing up.

2. kwfl macrumors 6502

i think that first hour it isnt really backing up, it is just determining what to back up.

and for a 600GB worth of data, i am not sure, wether time machine is the best choice for back up, given it is still new and people facing some minor problems with it, but given the amount of data you have, i will be more careful.

3. Jebaloo thread starter macrumors 6502

Really? You think I shouldn't bother with it?

Could you give me an example of problems people have been having. I'm keen to use it for its simplicity, and know that everyone has an opinion, but if, for example, people are having problems such as data loss, then I will indeed look elsewhere.

If it's just teething problems, then I think I'm happy-ish to just wait and see.

side note- Just looking at cheap RAID options. Can TM back up to a RAID? For example, this one: http://www.g-technology.com/Products/G-RAID2.cfm

4. kwfl macrumors 6502

well, time machine is great
    my concerns are that it is new and issues are showing up everywhere.
    it will work for you, as a precaution though you might need to survey its reliability, i am afraid i am not the one you should be asking for that.

the issues i had with time machine
    1- last backup faild, and am not sure what the implications of that
    2- it sometimes starts backing up while it is turned off.

as a matter of fact, i am no longer using leopard, and all my data are in external drives. i prefer that.

5. kwfl macrumors 6502

i think time machine will deal with RAID as an external drive and it will backup to it, just wondering why will you be using RAID for backup.
    i think RAID are there for performance, the thing that isnt very necessary for backup.

6. Jebaloo thread starter macrumors 6502

yes,, well I'm very confused.

As far as I can tell I have two options

1) Store all data internally, I have plenty HD space in my Mac Pro, and two empty bays for the future - THEN, back-up all this internal data to a simple external drive, or array of drives (as my data grows) - right now, just one external drive will do for TM.

2) Store only system info, OS, and applications inside the MacPro, and then store all photos, music and movie files externally on an intelligent 'data security' RAID system such as 'Drobo', or similar. No backing up required.

I don't know which way to go. Right now I'm set up to do number 1. I have all the equipment for this, and am happy to do backups as long as TM works. But if TM doesn't work, I'm tempted to change tack, buy a RAID storage system and take route 2.

What do you think?

7. Jebaloo thread starter macrumors 6502

I just thought of option 3)

Buy a couple extra drives and fill the Mac Pro to capacity, then take 3 of those drives for data putting them into a RAID setup.

I don't know which RAID it would be, but the sort that provides redundancy.

This way I could have a small back-up drive externally just for the one internal drive that has OS and APs in it, and then just rely on software raid internally to provide redundancy for all my data.

8. Lertie32 macrumors member

Time Machine errors

I'm having similar/same problems with Time Machine on my MacBookPro. It has yet to work properly ONCE. It always gives an error and stops mid-process.

I've tried reformatting the external drive, repartitioning the drive, doing software update, trashing Time Machine prefs, etc.

For something that's supposed to be SO easy, why doesn't this damn thing even work???

Apple, I'm NOT impressed.

Somebody please help!

9. Jebaloo thread starter macrumors 6502

TELL me about it. It now has a minimal 100MB!!! to go, yet still seems to crash every 2 minutes.

I did a full wipe/wipe/wipe of my external drive before I started, and now I've done everything properly (as far as I know), so why isn't it working for me?

100MB (of 600GB !)to go, and it crashes again and again, AND again, or it simply hangs on 'preparing' backup.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong if anything.

10. Jebaloo thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, So I'm still experiencing this problem. I rang up apple and their didn't have a clue.

So, I wiped and reformatted the drive, and have started again. Guess what, 100Gb in I get the same damn message.

Do you think it could be the HD that I"m trying to copy to?

11. Jebaloo thread starter macrumors 6502

Still going.

It's not the HD that I'm using for TM because I've now tried a second HD and exactly the same problem happens.

now I'm trying to eliminate one of my internal drives from the equation to see if that's the problem.

12. Jebaloo thread starter macrumors 6502

OK. So the conclusion is (through elimination) that it is my brand new 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F1 drive with the 32mb cache, that is causing the problems.

TM works perfectly when it is only backing up the original 500Gb Drive, but the moment I add my third party HD into the equation, things go pear shaped. The same problem if I tell TM ONLY to backup the 1TB Spinpoint drive. It just keeps cancelling.

Code for this troublesome HD is: Samsung SpinPoint HD103UJ F1 Series - 1 TB - 32 MB - SATA

Perhaps these drives are just simply not compatible? Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make this HD work with TM. Should I return the HD? Should I fork out for the Apple endorsed equivalent (over £100 dearer)?

Any suggestions?

13. benpatient macrumors 68000

sorry for the late reply, but there are a lot of complaints about this drive's reliability.

unfortunately, it's the fastest, quietest, biggest drive on the market. it is a real bummer that so many of them have some kind of problems...check the newegg reviews to see what i mean.

14. Cryptic1911 macrumors member

You might just have a bad drive.. I'm using two samsung F1 750gb drives raid0 in an eSata enclosure and they are extremely fast when time machine is backing up to them. I've only had them a couple days now, but I haven't had any issues yet