Time Machine application backups now unregistered/save games missing

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by loudasday, Aug 18, 2009.

1. loudasday macrumors newbie

I finally broke down and bought a 1Tb HD for data storage and backup. My Macbook Pro Aluminum OSX 10.5 had been running a little slow, so I decided to do a full reimaging of the disk, then reinstall all my apps and documents (those being the only important things on my HD, I like to keep the disk sparse because I use the laptop professionally--also, I was having some partitioning issues, so a fresh install seemed like an easy solution). So I used Time Machine because it got great reviews, and I only wanted to restore select portions of the HD in congruent portions. Everything seemed to work great, BUT now that I've restored the portions of my disk that I wanted, all of my programs and games not only come up as unregistered, but all of my savegames are missing, and I can't figure out where they're kept on the older image. I even tried using the migration assistant instead of the "restore" button in time machine, also with no luck in either department.

Anyone have any ideas where I might have gone wrong? Everything seems to check out, until I try to RUN a program, then the installation either comes up "broken" or asks me to reregister my software. and yes, I COULD manually open each of my programs, and enter the serial numbers from the software boxes, wherever they are, but the whole reason I backed up my data first was so that I DIDN'T have to bother with a fresh install/download or reregistering of all my programs. Any help would be HUGELY appreciated.

2. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

Sounds like your restore didn't bring back the portion of the hard disk these apps need, probably the Application Support folder inside your Library folder. Some apps also use hidden files to store registration info, and some developers are devilish in finding ways to hide those files.

Look inside the Time Machine backup for /Library/Application Support. Try to bring back the files for one app and see how that app does. If it works, bring back more and you should be OK.

If that doesn't work, contact the developer and see if they can help. Time Machine has been around long enough that they should have a boilerplate answer for you.

mt

3. loudasday thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks mysterytramp,

I'll run the "support" folder restore right now (mostly I just want my savegames back). I don't like to admit it on forums, but I'm pretty new to OSX architecture and file systems (little less than a year). I use Ubuntu long before I fell in love with the power mac, and the architectures are... very different.

I'll let you know how it goes!

-Zac

4. loudasday thread starter macrumors newbie

I just started running Time Machine and *BEHOLD!*, 6.9GB of application data that was missing... can't wait to see how it turns out tomorrow!

5. loudasday thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright, so I let the restore run last night, and sadly all it succeeded in doing was destroying the funcationality of the few programs I've already reinstalled (the essentials like little snitch and vidallia). Any other ideas??? I'm open to whatever!

6. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

When you say their functionality is destroyed, does that mean the software doesn't work because it wants your license codes?

A restore could have overwritten files you've created since the backup, which could mean screw up installs like Little Snitch.

What about the apps that were on the hard disk the first time you used Time Machine? Do they work? TM will copy everything (including invisible files) you tell it to, so if you told it to back up the Application Support folder, then all that data should be restored. [The reason I ask is there are some "tips" out there from people who suggest you can reduce what TM backs up, extending the life of the backup drive. It's certainly possible, but if you told it not to back up the App Spt folder, you might be screwed.]

Did you back up your licenses? Can you re-enter them? Can you contact the companies?

mt

7. loudasday thread starter macrumors newbie

hey MT,

thanks for the reply, again. It got me digging a little bit deeper into what had gone wrong. The issue was that I didn't want a full restore of my disk, I was trying to trim it down, so rather than "restoring from a time machine backup," I simply took control of the file after I reimaged my disk, went into time machine, highlighted my apps, and hit "restore." I didn't realize there was an application support folder, and so hadn't even considered it.

What I ended up doing was reimaging again, and using the migration assistant. The first time failed again because I didn't copy the "top layer" of files--again, trying to trim down HD space. It was a bad plan, and nothing worked again. One more reimage, and a migration assistant running again (this time transfering ALL the files except the absolute non-neccessaries like program-specific save files I don't want anymore) and my mac now runs like a charm with some slimmed down HD space. Adobe didn't come back to full functionality, but being ex-windows I'm used to Adobe security nuisances, so I simply reentered my serials for Adobe. I really appreciate your replies, I don't know that I would have figured out where I went wrong without them. All's well, now!

-loudasday