Time Machine Assistance

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Mr.T, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Mr.T macrumors member

Hello,
    I would appreciate if someone would be able to offer some assistance.

I have a Mac Mini, with a USB HDD plugged in directly, which the Mac Mini backs up to via Time Machine. I'm very happy with this setup and it works well. This Mac Mini is connected to the network via wifi through my Airport Extreme.

I now have a Macbook Pro. My Macbook Pro connects to the network through the Airport Extreme too.

Is it possible to backup via Time Machine my Macbook Pro to the USB HDD plugged into the Mac Mini? If so, can someone please offer assistance?

Note: I removed the USB HDD from the Airport Extreme as Time Machine on the Mac Mini kept having difficulty seeing the Disk, and it's only been stable since plugging directly into the Mac Mini.

Cheers

2. willieva macrumors 6502

It's probably not a good idea to have two computers using one partition for time machine backups. Time machine will fill the disk up, then start erasing old files from the backup. One backup could potentially start growing in size at the expense of the other.

It is possible to do what you want however.

3. Mr.T thread starter macrumors member

Hmmm ok.

I have a HP NAS on my network too, running FreeBSD 8. Unfortunately I cannot afford disks for it yet. Once I get the disks I should have ~6.5TB of usable space (ZFS Raid-z). I shall create 2 zpools for each mac to use as time machine backup locations then.

Till the, I hope my MacBook Pro doesnt die!

Cheers.