Time Machine Assitance

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by johnrawkstaugh, Apr 11, 2017.

1. johnrawkstaugh macrumors newbie

johnrawkstaugh

Hey folks, and thanks for your time! Long time reader of this forum, but haven't found an answer to the issue I just created for myself this morning.

I do music production and in an effort to free up my SSD, I tried moving my User Folder to my second HDD so I could save and run my apps and all of my plug-ins from there but use the speed of the SSD while in production. So, I relocated the User folder over, restarted the computer and it came up like a new mac and all of the Time Machine backups that I had set on an automatic schedule were gone. All my files, programs, plug-ins are still here, but now I feel as if I'm starting from scratch... keychain is new, desktop, etc.

Have I noobed myself or is there hope?

2. owbp macrumors 6502a

owbp

Try copying all your user subfolders from SSD to new HD. Don't forget to unhide and copy Library, it's where all your settings are stored.

3. bernuli macrumors 6502

What steps did you use to move your User folder?

4. johnrawkstaugh thread starter macrumors newbie

johnrawkstaugh

Moved the User folder from the original location on Master SSD to Volume/2TB (second hard drive) then, via User & Groups; Advance Options; home directory I changed the access location.

5. bernuli macrumors 6502

Did you first log on a a different user than the one who's user folder you were moving?

6. johnrawkstaugh thread starter macrumors newbie

johnrawkstaugh

I signed in as Admin.