Time Machine Back up and keeping applications

Discussion in 'macOS' started by neworderdude, Jan 7, 2010.

1. neworderdude macrumors newbie

I understand there are thousands of threads on this subject but my question is quite specific so here goes

I've just bought a 1TB EX-HDD so I can do a clean install of Snow Leopard.

I've never used time machine before so I have a few basic questions that, hopefully, people on here should be able to answer.

Does it back up EVERYTHING? Including, my applications, my settings within applications (passwords that automatically appear in safari, my mail accounts, channel strip settings in Logic etc). Will I need to enter serials again if it does?

I have it set to exclude nothing. Also, will excluding nothing kind of defeat the object of a clean install?

If it DOES defeat the object of a clean install, which folders should I set it to exclude so that I can keep the things ive mentioned above (passwords that automatically appear in safari, my mail accounts, channel strip settings in Logic etc)

Sorry if this all seems a bit vague. I've done my best to try and explain and any help will be greatly appreciated

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Yes, probably not, and yes.

~/System

(I think... wait til someone else confirms or denies)

3. neworderdude thread starter macrumors newbie

What will I lose then if I get rid of that? Will I lose all of my in app prefs?

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You'll lose the System files. App prefs are stored in ~/Library.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you do a full back up with TM and a full restore from TM, you'll not have to re-enter your serial numbers, at least I never did and I had to a full system restore.

6. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Just to make it clear, there's no ~/System directory. There's only /System. The tilde (~) indicates the users home directory.

There's both a /Library and ~/Library, but preferences are stored in the individual user's Library as opposed to the root Library.