Time machine back up question

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Droidrage729, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Droidrage729 macrumors 6502

I have a time machine back up of my old mac with lion. Has all my pictures data etc. is it safe/ recommended to restore that back up on my new mac with mountain lion? Don't have too much experience with this and a google search just gives me features of time machine. Thanks in advance I really want my music and photos back .

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I'm not sure what year/model the new machine is, but if it is new there is a good likelihood the version of Lion on the backup will not support your new computer and a restore will not work.

To just get the data, and not the OS (which a restore would do), you could just use Migration Assistant to get the data off. The problem there is it sounds like you already setup an account on the new machine (?), and if you use Migration Assistant to import the old account data it can cause duplicate accounts of the same name and a big mess.

Have you already setup an account on the new machine and if so is it named the same as the old machine's account?

You might be better off manually moving the data in from the old backup.

3. Droidrage729 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you for your responses I'm going from an 07 Mac mini to the latest 12. So I think migration assistant is what I want not a full on back up restore . I will give it a shot later.