Time Machine Back Up Questions With Multiple HDD's On MBP?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Bazzy, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Bazzy macrumors regular

Hi All,

Yesterday, I replaced the stock 750GB HDD (in my Late 2011 17" MBP) with a 2TB one which I partitioned into 2 x 1TB.

I also added a 2TB HDD into the Optibay so I now have 3 Drives showing on my Desktop. (Transferred about 300GB of data on the Optibay Drive so far).

I left the 1st Partition on the Regular Drive as "Macintosh HD", the 2nd Partition as "Macintosh HD 2" & the Optibay Drive as "Macintosh HD 3".

I use Time Machine via Time Capsule to do wireless back ups & noticed that my system was doing a very large back up via Time Machine which I assumed was the 250GB of Data I transferred onto the Optibay Drive.

TBH, with regards to Time Machine Back Ups, at this stage, I only wish to back up to my Time Capsule the contents of the 1st Partition on the Regular HD - "Macintosh HD".

Is there any way that I can set things up to ensure this & that the other two are left alone?

Many Thanks!

Screen Shot 2017-04-21 at 18.27.31.png

2. Honza1 macrumors member

Yes, go to Time machine (in System preferences) and in Option exclude the drive (or folders) you do not want to backup.