Time Machine back up restoring

Discussion in 'macOS' started by NOSDuco, Mar 21, 2011.

1. NOSDuco macrumors newbie

I am restoring a time machine back up using fsck_hfs and it has been on "** Rebuilding catalog B-tree" for over an hour. I do not know if this just takes a really long time or that something is wrong. Please help.

2. NOSDuco thread starter macrumors newbie

It just seemed that it just takes a while. If finished that step and is not on "** Checking catalog file" Hopefully this will go faster.

3. redsteven macrumors 6502a

redsteven

Could also have to do with the speed of the hard drive and the speed of the connection.

For example, USB 2 is going to be a lot slower than firewire (don't believe the crap about USB 2 being 480 Mb/second. That's a theoretical speed that you'll never see due to the way the hardware/software work).

4. fenskezen macrumors regular

The first time I used time machine that first step took a long time. Thought it would not work until I went on line and read that it is normal. The subsequent back-ups did not take as long.:eek:

5. redsteven macrumors 6502a

redsteven

I think you're talking about the initial backup (which does take a while since it's everything on your hard drive).

But I believe NOSDuco is talking about RESTORING from his backup.... copying everything back over to his main hard disk.

Which would probably take just as long, if not longer than, an initial time machine BACKPU would (since in both cases you're copying... everything from one drive to another).

6. fenskezen macrumors regular

Redsteven, you are so right. :eek: