Time machine back up SSD

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Mainbeam, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Mainbeam macrumors newbie

Mainbeam

Hi, I have OSX running off an SSD where my optical drive used to be. I also have an internal hdd. Computer is early 2011 MacBook Pro unibody.

The problem in having is I'm trying to do a time machine backup for the first time and time machine only recognises the hdd and not the SSD with OSX.

Does anyone have a fix for this problem?

Thanks

2. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

If I'm understanding correctly, TM only shows target drives, not the drive to be backed up. The SSD is the boot drive so it won't appear as a target.

3. Mainbeam thread starter macrumors newbie

Mainbeam

Thanks EG. Do you know how to make the SSD appear as a target drive? Thanks.

4. ApfelKuchen, Feb 19, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2014

ApfelKuchen macrumors 68020

You can create a new partition on the SSD, and use that for your target. HOWEVER, it's very risky to place a backup on the very same drive you need to backup. I gather you're running OS X on the SSD, data and apps on the HDD?

If there's room on your SSD to backup your OS and data, then there's room on your SSD to store the data itself. Data on the fast drive, backup on the slower drive (though you're losing much of the benefit of a backup unless you use an external drive).

5. Mainbeam thread starter macrumors newbie

Mainbeam

Thanks AK. Yes to your 1st line. So are you saying that the SSD will automatically back up? I was confused as it gave the option to back up the HDD but not SSD.

Thanks for the replies folks.

6. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

One of TMs missions is to copy data to a 2nd drive in case the 1st drive fails. Without changing to another boot drive, you would need to partition the SSD. Boot from partition 1 and make partition 2 a target. This would give you in the fly internal version backups. Is that your goal?

7. Mainbeam thread starter macrumors newbie

Mainbeam

Sorry for not being totally clear with my original post. Basically, I want to plug in an external HDD and back up 2 internal drives, the SSD and the HDD. Thanks.

8. flynz4 macrumors 68040

The confusion is in the word "target". Generally in a backup situation, the "target" is the destination of the backup data. It seems what you want is to have both your HDD, and your SSD to be the "source" of backup data... and your external device to be the "destination" (or target) of your backup.

Yes... Time Machine can have multiple source drives. Go into "System Preferences > Time Machine > Options" and make sure that neither drive is excluded.

/Jim

9. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68020

You're not seeing the SSD because it's not optional, backing up the boot drive is the default. You're seeing the HDD in the Time Machine Preferences either because it's a potential target - a place to store the backup (as Jim explained), or because you chose to exclude it from being backed up.

System Preferences > Time Machine, "Select disk..." means, Select the disk you want to backup to (the target). It'll show disks eligible for backup. Your SSD is not an eligible backup drive. Plug in the external HDD, you'll be asked if you want to backup to that drive.

If you go into System Preferences > Time Machine > Options... you'll see the "Exclude these items from backup" screen. By default, the boot drive will not be displayed. If you click the + you will get a dialog box that allows you to select folders/drives you'd like to exclude from the backup. If a drive or folder is displayed on that screen, it has already been excluded from backup.

10. Mainbeam thread starter macrumors newbie

Mainbeam

Thanks. Makes sense now. It automatically backs up the boot drive. Problem I have now is GB's worth of yellow other and only 10gb of space left of SSD. I created a 2nd partition and then deleted it.

11. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

You dont want to run SSDs near full. It concentrates write cycles in a small area and reduces the drives lifespan.