Time Machine back up to windows. HELP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by parkm13, Nov 7, 2011.

1. parkm13 macrumors regular

i need to do a clean install of lion on my MacBook Pro. Is there any way i can use time machine to back up to another computer because i do not have any external hard drive to back it up to. any help would be great!

2. parkm13 thread starter macrumors regular

there has to be a way to make my mbp think another computer is an external drive

3. parkm13 thread starter macrumors regular

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

just buy an external HDD; they are cheap. You can do a clone backup via CCC or SuperDuper which is faster.

5. parkm13 thread starter macrumors regular

i would but the closest store that sells them is a little over an hour away. i live in a very rural area. and i need this done fast, so i cant have one shipped here

6. zaxdude macrumors regular

I hate to say it, but your only choice is to drive an hour away & buy an external drive....or ask a friend or two if they have one available for use. That's as fast as it's gonna get in your situation.

7. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

It's not possible to a Windows PC. The Time Machine drive needs to be Mac Formatted.

Best go warm the car up...

8. parkm13 thread starter macrumors regular

ok thanks for your help. i wish there was an app or something that would let me do it

9. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

It's a no for technical reasons. What use is a backup system that might corrupt the data?

10. parkm13 thread starter macrumors regular

how could it corrupt the data? i am rather new at this but it seems like if the computer just dumped all the data in a file it would be fine

11. snaky69 macrumors 603

That's not quite how it works.

You could, if you have a PC laying around with enough hard drive space, create a shared folder on it where you could dump your files(I strongly recommend you use either firewire or ethernet to do this, wi-fi will be painfully slow).

Even though this will work, it is in no way shape or form a reliable means of backup. You could forget things, and it cannot be automated.

Good luck!

12. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Time Machine over a network uses sparse disk image to store the backup data. I previously used Time Machine to backup over a network to a shared drive on another Mac. It worked for a few weeks before it corrupted the disk image and Time Machine forced it to read only.

If it's that flaky on AFP it's going to be even worse on SMB shares, hence why Apple disable it.

Time Machine works best with locally connected storage so it can store the files on the disk directly.

13. parkm13 thread starter macrumors regular

well i would want to move over is my music pictures and a few apps... it is a new macbook so i don't have much on it. would i be able to use it just for that?

14. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Music and Pictures - fine.
    Apps - very much doubt it.

15. parkm13 thread starter macrumors regular

16. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

17. parkm13 thread starter macrumors regular

well its not like i would be running the apps. just keep them there for less then an hour so i can do a clean install

18. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

Time Machine would not see the drive it was restoring from if it wasnt formated for OSX, you alos cant write to a windows formatted drive you can only read files off it

19. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

I have a MBP and the wifey has a Windows Laptop. I use a Netgear WNDR7000 with an attached 750GB HDD. I use time machine to backup my mac to it and then I use SyncBack to backup to the same 750GB HDD.

You can do 2 partitions or have MacDrive 8 on the Windows Machine.

20. parkm13 thread starter macrumors regular

so if i have macdrive 8 i can put my music files on a windows computer? then get them after the install?

21. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

You've been wrestling with this since Monday (6 days now). In that time you could've made the 2 hour round trip, gotten a cheap USB drive and be back in business that same day. (With a new backup solution already in place) :D

22. parkm13 thread starter macrumors regular

haha yeah i know that. i need to do a clean install because every time i wake up my macbook pro from sleep it will go back to sleep after a few seconds. then the 2nd time i wake it up it will work fine. so it is more of an annoyance then a large issue. i brought it into the apple store and they said that is what i had to do. i would rather not drive all the way there an back if i could do it from home. and i am very busy and don't want to spend two and a half hours driving around.

23. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

Well, since you can live with this "annoyance" for a few more days... there's this new company called UPS that actually delivers stuff - right to your door! :eek:

:D :D

24. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Yet the OP will spend longer that that trying to find a way other than the best solution over 5 days on an internet forum!

Even my local supermarket sells USB HDDs.

25. parkm13 thread starter macrumors regular

i bought one. it is being shipped here. and i wish i had a local store. all i have in town is a gas station and a little grocery store that sells basic things.