Time Machine back up with main hdd and optibay drive?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Don Nguyen, Feb 28, 2015.

1. Don Nguyen macrumors member

I have a 1tb hard drive in my main drive and a SSD boot up drive in my optibay drive. When I use time machine, it backs both drives up. However, when I do a restore using time machine, it only updates the SSD boot up drive. The other files in the secondary 1tb hard drive are not updated/transferred.

Is there a step that I am missing or what can be done so that both drives get updated?

Thanks!

-Don

2. Bbafett macrumors regular

Just a note that you might not be getting the full use of speed out of the ssd with it being in the optical drive. I heard sometimes the boot drive being there causes issues sometimes with waking up.

I don't generally use time machine so I couldn't answer your question though. Sorry.

3. Don Nguyen thread starter macrumors member

That's interesting. I'll have to look into it. I've had it like this for 5 years now without any other issues so far.

-don

4. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

When you restore with Time Machine did it ask you which volume to restore? Did you select both volumes?

You can always look into the Time Machine Drive with Finder, you should be able to navigate down and see both drives being backed up and the files on them if you aren't sure.