time machine back up

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cindyjj, Jun 2, 2016.

1. cindyjj macrumors regular

I had to replace my hard drive awhile back and first backed up the entire contents to an external hard drive via time machine back up. I'm wanting to find some photos on that HD now - I connected it to my laptop, clicked the time machine icon at the top of the screen, clicked through until I got to the folder called Pictures, then clicked the coloured icon iphoto library. All that came up was the size of the folder, 36 GB, but I couldn't get to the pictures - there was nowhere to click to open the library of photos. How do I access the photos?

2. MRxROBOT macrumors 6502

MRxROBOT

There are a couple simple methods to access the photos on your external HD Cindy.

If you want to view the photos via finder, secondary click the "Photos Library" , click 'Show Package Contents' and then click on 'Masters' for the original photos.

If you want to view the photos via the Photos app, hold option and click on the app. It will give you a choice to navigate to 'Other Library' and view your previous library. To move back to your current library, follow the same steps but direct it to the 'Photo Library' on your internal HD. You can always drag the folder from your external to your internal and in turn have all your old photos restored to your internal.