Time Machine back-ups disappeared, please help!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by angela5885, Feb 16, 2012.

1. angela5885 macrumors newbie

hi everybody,

I hope somebody can help me, as I feel pretty desperate.

I have Samsung Story ext harddrive which I have split in 2: one for storing movies and such and 1 using as Time Machine.

last month my Macbook Pro crashed and so I had a new harddive installed. I was not bothered because I made regular backups on the ext harddive.
    when re-installing I found out that most of my photos had disappeared...!!
    I spend days searching but could not find them anywhere, even when entering TM.

Now, the worst thing happened today. I connected the drive to make a backup and to enter TM to find a document only to find that ALL previous back ups have DISAPPEARED...!

I have searched and googled but I did not find anything that can help me with this problem!

Is there anybody out there that can help me, I'm afraid that everything I backed up is gone. Can anybody explain in a language I understand (i'm not too technical)

MANY MANY THANKS!!

Angela

2. mstrze macrumors 68000

When you got the new drive installed, did you restore from Time Machine? Did it work except for the photos? Where did you store your photos originally and did you perhaps choose that folder or drive to be excluded from your TM backups?

Also (sorry for all the questions) was this document you were looking for (when you discovered the TM backups were gone) something that you deleted in the past? If not it should have been restored when you did your post-new hard drive install restoration from your Time Machine backup.

Aside from not being able to dive into the past backups, (and the time it takes to create a band new one) losing the TM backups should not be a huge deal assuming the data was restored back to the new drive.

3. angela5885 thread starter macrumors newbie

hey Mstrze,

Yes I did restore from TM, and yes it did work aside from (half) of my photos (some showed up and some were gone) originally I load all my photos up in Iphoto, but do also access them from Iphoto bridge to work with them in photoshop.

But when photoshop showed problems (I did not purchase the program, and all of a sudden it required a SN) so I deleted it and wanted to reinstall it from TM.
    There I found out that all the previous back ups have disappeared.

beside from all this, is there any way that I can recover my vanished photos?

4. tug macrumors 6502

hi, in finder, click on your mounted ext. in the file look for "backupdb" everything that has been added to your ext. drive will be in this folder.