Time Machine back ups?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kasaer, Mar 28, 2011.

1. kasaer, Mar 28, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2011

kasaer macrumors newbie

Hey Guys,

I am having some serious bad luck with Apple. This is my 3 rd Mac in 2 months that came up dead on arrival so to speak. :mad:

I am tired of installing my backups from the time machine.capsule so I wanted to know whether I can finish setting it up and apply the backups after wards? How does one do this? When setting/starting up the new unit it asks usually whether you want o install from time machine etc.

This will definitely save me from uninstalling or even reformatting before shipping it back if it is defunct again :(

Thanks!

Macbook Pro 2011 version

2. euphoria47 macrumors member

Yes you can. You can boot up and chose not to import settings, do what you want to do and then at any time, go Applications-Utilities-Migration Assistant. You can then select your time machine backup.

3. kasaer thread starter macrumors newbie

4. euphoria47 macrumors member

No problem :)

5. kasaer thread starter macrumors newbie

and another issue

So I have tried to successfully transferring from the time machine using migration assistant. It worked, but it installed it to a folder instead of the hard drive (with everything in its right place). I had to change the the name because the old user name is the same as my current. (See image attached)

What can I do, this is so frustrating:confused:??????

I also selected the last option and it created another account from the backup with only the user info, but not my files.

Attached Files:

6. snaky69 macrumors 603

Try re-installing OS X and use migration assistant to restore from a backup, that way you will not have a user account present on the computer before you migrate your data.

7. Eternal 28 macrumors 6502

I had the same issue last week. No need to restore your operating system again.To bypass this issue all you have to do is create a new user account with a different name make sure u give it Administrative rights. Then u log into that new account and then go into system preferences and select accounts and then delete the account called Kai or whatever it was named and delete the home folder when prompted. Now u will be able to select the time machine restore.

8. kasaer thread starter macrumors newbie

Eternal- I have the new user account. The problem is I have only used one account since i have had a mac and do not know how to log into the new account. Should I restart and select this new account? How does it work?

I thought one can't delete a Apple folders?

9. Eternal 28 macrumors 6502

Okay, to create a new account go to system preferences and then accounts. To make changes u must unlock the password lock, click on the lock on the bottom left and enter your password. Next click on the plus symbol so u can create a new account, just choose a different name and give it adminstratative rights. After user account set up, goto the apple logo towards the top left and log out of your existing account. Next log into the new account u just created. Now u have to delete the old user account name Kai since it's conflicting with your time machine restore. Now u will be Able to restore with time machine.

10. kasaer thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, I did this before you responded. I didn't delete the old user account and just installed it. As expected the transfer was successful, but now all my folders are locked (has a prohibition sign) so to speak for the new user account that i installed.

This is what i am gong to do. I ma going to delete that folder once again. delete the old user account and do the transfer again, correct?

Will I be able to change the name of my account once everything else is ok?

I hope i ma not messing up my new mac:eek:

11. kasaer thread starter macrumors newbie

Eternal and someone who can help:

I have applied what you suggested however, it transfers it to it's own folder with the same name as the backup. This is so frustrating..... please HELP!!!!! See attached image.

At this point I think reinstalling would be my better options as previously suggested (crying) or even copy the files for each folder individually. I am not going to give up though!

K

Attached Files:

12. kasaer thread starter macrumors newbie

Can't even copy the files because they are all inaccessible (pulling my hair out):eek:

13. Eternal 28 macrumors 6502

If you are going through all this trouble it might be better to just format the hard drive and start all over.