Time machine backing up 100's of gigs every backup?!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by aaron580, May 9, 2010.

1. aaron580 macrumors member

Ok so i hadnt backed up my macbook pro in over a month and i backed it up yesterday and it backed up 158gig. Ok i thought because it hasnt backed up in a long time lot has changed. Well i go today to do a routine backup and it wants to do another 148 gig backup! I havnt even changed anything besides my wireless password! Any help on this? Its starting to annoy me because ive never had this issue before.

2. mason.kramer macrumors 6502

mason.kramer

If you browse previous backups in TimeMachine.app, can you see your previous backups? If not, it indicates that the time machine backup daemon is not correctly recognizing previous backups. This will have something to do with the way your backup database is named or the xattr of the backupd file.

If you *can* browse your backups - it could be due to encryption. Are you encrypting your home directory in some way, or do you have a large disk image that is encrypted? An encrypted file changes ~50% of its bits if even a single bit changes in the plaintext, so has to be backed up every time. There is a way around this, too, called sparsebundling. But anyway...ill wait to hear back from you.

3. aaron580 thread starter macrumors member

Yes i can see my previous backups and all i have is a password lock set but thats totally it.

4. mason.kramer macrumors 6502

mason.kramer

A password lock on what? You mean you have to type a password to login, or you have a disk image with a password lock?

5. aaron580 thread starter macrumors member

login password sorry I didnt clarify. Thats the only kind of security I have right now.

6. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Download 'TimeTracker' from http://www.charlessoft.com/ and let it finish the scan. It will tell you the unique files from the files that have been backed up on your Time Machine backups.

Also, it seems to crash when you use the arrow keys to collapse the list in the app. If you don't know what this means, just use the mouse to navigate, not the keyboard.