Time Machine backing up an Airport Disk

Discussion in 'macOS' started by beatledud, Feb 19, 2008.

1. beatledud macrumors 6502

I've read that Time Machine will back up mac journaled formated external drives, unless you exclude them. That's all well and good, but my situation is a little different. Here's my setup.

15" MBP, 120GB HDD
    AEBS
    RAID 0 1TB WD My Book Pro II drive on the network as an airport disk.
    500 GB WD Pro drive on firewire 800.

The 500 gig is going to be used as my time machine drive. The 1TB Airport Disk drive is mostly media. The only thing I want backed up is some important document folders as well as my music folder. But when I go to exclude the folders I don't want backedup on my 1TB airport disk drive, I find that the entire contents of the drive isn't selectable to be excluded. I don't really have any space on my internal drive to store these files. All drives are mac journal extended formatted.

2. beatledud thread starter macrumors 6502

UPDATE

I tried using iTimeMachine to see if it will allow Time Machine to access my AP Disk. I believe it just runs the terminal command that activates the default setting for Time Machine and network compatibility. Either way, when opening up Time Machine's preferences, I now see my 1TB drive as a drive I can back up to. However, unlike the thousands of threads out there, I don't want to back up to it, I want to back up some folder from it. As usual, when opening up the exclusion options, all of the folders on my AP Disk are greyed out, which tells me that Time Machine won't back up that disk.

Thoughts?

3. beatledud thread starter macrumors 6502

UPDATE

Ok, so I tried plugging the Airport Disk directly into the laptop this time. Again, going into TimeMachine prefs, all the folders of the external drive are greyed out, and time machine isn't backing up the external. Anyone have any suggestions?

4. beatledud thread starter macrumors 6502

hate to be annoying, but I'd really like to know if there is any information out there, good or bad, concerning to this topic.

My macbook pro HDD is just too small to keep all these important documents and music on it, and i need to find some way to back it up with time machine so I don't lose it if my WD 1TB drive fails.

5. ToneMonkey macrumors member

Agree. Backing up one's NAS seems entirely reasonable.

In fact, one should not deploy NAS without some sort of backup/disaster recovery strategy (unless you don't really care whether or not all your data burns down with your house).

Did you ever figure out how to do this with TM?

If not, what are you using?

Thanks.