Time Machine - Backing Up Applications/Booting New System With Those Applicaitons

Discussion in 'macOS' started by touchmanic, Apr 28, 2009.

1. touchmanic macrumors member

Hi all,

My Powerbook G4 is finally getting too hot/slow to handle so I have made the bold decision of buying a refurbished Macbook 2.4ghz with 250gb and 2gb ram. VERY excited and even shunned the idea of a pro version with the good specs on offer....just a little nervous about the refurb factor, but it was a great deal.

Anyway, I digress! I was wondering if you might be able to help...

When my new shiny Macbook arrives, I'd like to use Time Machine to get my old apps off my Powerbook. Some of these apps I have obtained from my old workplce and no longer have the discs. Other apps I have the discs in the UK (i now live in the U.S.)

Can I just restore the applications from my old powerbook when I boot from time machine on my new Macbook, or will I have to boot the entire previous system!?

If it's the latter, will there be any disadvantages to doing that? Alternatively, are there any other methods to backing up applications on a system without the original discs?

Thanks so much and I do hope that was clear!

2. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

I would just use Migration Assisant. It will transfer your applications and other things for you. You just need to connect both Macs (via Firewire, I think).

However, note that since you're coming from a PowerBook (PowerPC processor) some apps will not behave the same on an Intel (your new Mac). I haven't personally experience this but I've heard about it.