Time Machine backing up too much?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jent, May 27, 2010.

1. jent macrumors 6502a

jent

I have a Time Capsule and Time Machine on MacBook regularly backs up between 1MB and 5GB of data every hour, depending on how much data I change/delete/add to my hard drive. Over the last few days, it has tried to backup 150GB, 90GB, and 220GB, despite the fact that I'm not doing anything other than surfing the web and checking my email. The total amount of used hard drive space on my Mac is 330GB, so I suspect that Time Machine is running into a bug when it calculates what needs to be backed up. Worse yet, I see that the amount of free space on my Time Capsule hard drive is shooting up, meaning that somewhere on the disk, backups are getting deleted and I'm not being notified, even though "Notify after old backups are deleted" is checked off in the Time Machine preference pane in System Preferences. I'm running 10.6.3… any suggestions?

2. msevild macrumors regular

What e-mail client are you using on your Mac? Are you working with any database applications such as FileMaker?

3. jent thread starter macrumors 6502a

jent

Mail.app, but I've been using that for years with no Time Machine problems. And no database applications at all.