Time Machine Backs Up Entire Drive Again?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by gkarris, Nov 27, 2011.

1. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

I just set up my Mini as a server with an external drive for Time Machine Backups from my MacBook.

I backed up my MacBook to the Mini's External Drive the first time a couple of weeks ago just fine. about 450 Gigs.

I'm doing another backup now and only added 5 Gigs of photos - Time Machine is backing up the entire 455 Gigs again?

I thought it would only backup the extra 5 Gigs...

:confused:

Anyone know why or can point me in the right direction?

2. fazalkhilji macrumors newbie

Same here

Unfortunately am having the same problem and have found no solution to it yet . Time machine makes the backup bigger then earlier every time , it adds the earlier backups as well .
    If I use a partition of HDD means i can not use my HDD for anything as in a few months the backup becomes bigger then the stored data on HDD . even if you delete the older copies of backup , at least the last copy has all of the older copies already in it and it makes it about impossible to use the hard disk for you .
    The one and final option is to turn off the time machine . Since the time machine does not have any option where you can change the frequency of back ups or the selection of what to be backed up .
    I could not find any other option , if any one could help , kindly advise .

3. andyboutte macrumors member

What version of the Server software are you running?
    When you did your first backup was your external hard drive directly connected to your MacBook or Mac mini?

4. gkarris thread starter macrumors 604

gkarris

Thanks - I'm just using Snow Leopard with drive sharing.

I did the initial backup 2 weeks ago. I plan on just turning on the Mini when I need to backup the MacBook over Wi-Fi.

No new files since.

I just added 5 Gigs of photo files last night...

5. andyboutte macrumors member

When you did your first backup was your external drive directly connected to your Mac mini or MacBook?

6. gkarris thread starter macrumors 604

gkarris

It was through my Wi-Fi LAN to the Mini...

7. andyboutte macrumors member

There isn't a whole lot more I can offer for specifics. One obvious option is to start over. delete the backup and perform another one. I would also suggest taking a look into console.app (located in your utilities folder inside the applications folder) and search for backupd. backupd is the name of the time machine process and you will be able to see everything that it is reporting.