Time Machine backs up everything every hour, or only what's changed??

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Jesse Smith, Sep 3, 2008.

1. Jesse Smith macrumors member

From the book 'Mac OS X Leopard The Missing Manual', it says...

Back-ups do take very little time, BUT, every hour, it's backing up EVERYTHING! My first back-up was 270 Gigs, which is what it was supposed to be, since it was supposed to back-up everything.

The harddrive is 1 terabyte and with out me even being on the computer, each hour it added about 270 Gigs of used space backing up everything, even though nothing was changed.

How do you get it to only back-up what's changed during the last hour? After my first six back-ups (2-4th ones deleted by Time Machine for lack of space), I finally added my media hard drive to the do not back-up list, knocking it down to 53 Gigs per back-up, which is everything on three hardrives, even though during an hour, not even close to 1% of the files are changed!

2. Jesse Smith thread starter macrumors member

er, I think I got this figured out. Looking at the 'Get Info' of the '2008-09-03-224133' type folders, and the 'Where' location which is the same in each of the folders, it looks like that's the total space used up in the 'NAME’s iMac' folder at the time of the back-up, instead of adding say 270 gigs of stuff every single time it does an update. I did two back-ups just seconds apart that took just a few seconds each time, and there is no way it could transfer 270 gigs to the hard drive that fast, and instead the 'Backing up: 1 KB of 1 KB' :eek: is the REAL size of how much was added to the harddrive. So for a 1 terabyte harddrive, I think I should be safe until my iMac reaches it's own max of 1 terabyte. And I can have it backup my Music and Videos hard drive every time I make a change on it. I think I'm going to love the Time Machine!! Hopefully I'll never have to use it to recover stuff!!

3. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Updates....

Sparsebundles created by TM are updated each time something changes.... exception is deletions!

4. ksw1036 macrumors newbie

Not working for me...

I have the exact same problem - 500 gb Sumo hard drive that is getting filled up after 3 back-ups. What did you do to solve the problem? I really need help with this as I've got a lot of media files that I don't want to lose if the worst should happen and at the moment I'm reduced to having to backup manually every week or so and it's taking HOURS.

5. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

It's not filling up. Click on the HD icon and do a Cmd "i", and see what is says about the HD capacity and how much space is available.

6. ksw1036 macrumors newbie

I'm getting a message come up saying that Time Machine has failed because it needs 190 Gb to back up and only 119 Gb is available. My hard drive is 500 Gb and so is the backup disk. Disk information says that there is still over 200 Gb available on my hard drive so why is backup coming up with the insufficient space message? Very confused and distressed....