Time Machine Backup after iTunes 11.1 Install

Discussion in 'iMac' started by SBacklin, Sep 18, 2013.

1. SBacklin macrumors member

Did anyone else get a HUGE Time Machine backup after installing iTunes 11.1 today (9/13)?

I did on both my iMac and MBA and the next backups were 12-16GB.

2. brothersage macrumors newbie

Was it your iphone backup that made the difference?

Check your backup folder versus the spike in gigs used. My wife's iphone back was huge, because of her photos etc...

3. SBacklin thread starter macrumors member

It's not that. I'm not talking about the iPhone/iPad backup. I'm talking about the Time Machine backup of my Mac computers. I haven't added anything...photos, apps, music, videos, etc to either machine. After installing the new iTunes on both machines, the next Time Machine backup ranged from just over 12GB on my MBA and to almost 16GB on my iMac. The new iTunes was the only change.

4. brothersage macrumors newbie

Weird...I was just guessing that somehow the new itunes backed up your iphone automatically and you had alot of stuff it sent to a brand new folder. Itunes is like 300 mb or something right?

5. SBacklin thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, definitely weird. I'm not sure what the size of iTunes is.

6. JustMartin macrumors 6502a

Have you checked the size of your iTunes library? I haven't updated yet, so I don't know. But, perhaps the upgrade touches a bunch of files in the library which would give you a lot of stuff to backup.

7. JustMartin macrumors 6502a

hmmm, maybe not. I've just upgraded and started backup and the backup's only 1.5 Gig which is a lot smaller than my whole iTunes library (or any part of it for that matter).

8. SBacklin thread starter macrumors member

9. JustMartin macrumors 6502a

What about audio books?

After I upgraded, my iPod touch went from being very nearly full on sync, to 1.5gb over (which is about the size of my backup). Quite a lot of that appeared to be due to a number of audio books being spontaneously checked. May have been coincidence, may have been something I did and forgot about, but it seems odd.