Time Machine Backup - Can I get my files back with Windows?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Robg54, Mar 20, 2010.

1. Robg54 macrumors member

My macbook pro was stolen a few days ago. I plan on getting a replacement in the near future, but I don't think the current macbook pros are worth it at their prices... I don't know when an update is coming (like everyone else). I may have jumped the gun and bought a windows laptop if all my files weren't saved via time machine.

Is there anyway to get my stuff off time machine and onto windows short of buying a second mac and restoring to and then transfering off to windows laptop?

2. macgrl macrumors 65816

That is a great question. I have often wondered if I would be able to access files that are backed up from my mbp to my tc from my pc. If my mbp broke or was stolen in the immediate aftermath I would only have access to a pc.:)

3. BobZune macrumors 6502a

There is no easy way to do this (not saying it is impossible). You need a "Time Machine Aware" reader -- since TM is OS X (10.5 and later) only, your best bet is to borrow a properly equipped Mac.

[This is another case for a "Bootable" backup - which can be browsed with a mswin machine with MacDrive software installed.]