Time Machine backup external drive problem.

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by JonasLa, Jan 31, 2014.

1. JonasLa macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,

Recently I got myself a retina MacBook Pro and because of the capacity of the SSD I am using an external hard drive for a large amount of files that I don't need access to every day. So, I have three hard drives in total: the SSD in the MBP, one external Time Machine hard drive and one external data hard drive.

In the Time Machine preferences, I have included my external data hard drive in the backup. However, each time Time Machine backups while the data hard drive is not connected, the next time TM starts working it starts copying the whole data hard drive again.

Is there a way to fix this issue? Anyone having experienced the same problem?

Thanks!

2. Bear macrumors G3

The problem is Time Machine considers the changes from backup to backup. So if it does a backup is done with a drive missing, the next time it does a backup with that drive there, it's all files that weren't in the previous backup.

It would be nice if Time Machine handled the external drives a bit differently. I suggest submitting feedback to Apple on this. Possibly suggest that if an external drive is missing, the next time the external drive is seen by Time Machine the backup is based on the last time the drive was mounted.