Time Machine Backup External Drive Via Airport

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Thread77, Aug 7, 2008.

1. Thread77 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I currently have a USB hub connected to my airport router and have two external drives connected. One drive I am using as my Time Machine backup drive and the other I just purchased to store media (music,etc). If I plug my new drive into my Macbook Pro directly via USB it shows in Time Machine and I assume I can backup to it if I remove it from the 'do not backup' options. However, when the drive is plugged into airport Time Machine doesn't see it at all. Is there a way to have the two drives connected via airport and have Time Machine backup the new drive?

Thanks!

2. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

If I am not mistaken Apple doesn't support hard drive connected through wireless but you can activate that by following this tip:

http://www.macosxhints.com/comment.php?mode=view&cid=92090&query=Ethernet disk TimeMachine

Here it is.
    There is a hidden system preference that needs to be change. This can be done by typing the following command in the Terminal:

defaults write com.apple.systempreferences TMShowUnsupportedNetworkVolumes 1

The drives should now appear in Time Machine

3. Thread77 thread starter macrumors newbie

Looks like that did the trick! When I go to time machine preferences it shows the right amount of info to be backed up including the new external drive. Thanks for your help!

4. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Airport Extreme should not be a problem (though Apple doesnt support it but you wont require Terminal for that)