Time Machine Backup Failed!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by akcasoy, Jan 13, 2010.

1. akcasoy macrumors member

I am using Time Machine with my external drive..
    And since my external hard disk does not have too much capacity, from the time machine options i excluded some folders like movies, music etc...
    So in time machine preferences it seems it needs 42gb for backup..

And it was working like this, backing up 42gb.. and everyday just backing up changes like 100mb...So in hard drive more or less 50gb was used..70gb free..

Until last week.

Suddenly it appered an error like this "This backup is too large for the backup disk. The backup requires 128 GB but only 97 GB are available"

I do not have any idea how this can happen since my backup size seems like 42gb still in options... how it can require 128GB suddenly? Also how can i have 97GB available? I had 70GB last week?

I tried to include everything in backup options and exclude again but it does not work.. still i see there 42gb needed for backup ..
    but when i connect the drive i am still getting the same error!

Please help? what is this ****??

2. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

TM works by deleting what it believes are unnecessary backups to make enough room for the new backups. Plus, it needs more room than just the new backup to work its magic.

Lots of times TM will believe it can only perform a backup by deleting your only copy of a previous backup. It won't do that and instead just fail to proceed with a new backup.

There are enough threads here on MR to lead me to believe TM's logic isn't perfect, but there are thousands of people who swear by TM (and I'm one of them).

Your BEST solution is to get a larger hard drive that will give TM plenty of room to maintain weeks or months of backups.

If that's not possible, you might try again to exclude folders from your backups. Use a program like GrandPerspective to doublecheck exactly what you're backing up. For example, GarageBand has a folder that takes up a few gigabytes just on its own. You might reclaim some hard drive acreage this way.

And if that's not a solution, you might try alternatives to Time Machine. People here on MR love Super Duper and Carbon Copy Cloner which can be worked similarly to TM. And every Mac comes with the Unix utility rsync which can do a fine job backing up data, though it will require some study on the basics of Unix and the command line.

mt

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Did you even read the post? His drive *is* large enough and he *has* excluded folders, hence the question of why TM is deciding that the next backup is larger than the size of his drive even when the exclusions are taken into account.

I'd probably just wipe the TM drive clean and start over.

4. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

Just because the backup drive is "large enough" does not negate the advice given in the post you commented on.

I get that the OP may not be able to purchase a larger drive but is the accepted recommendation is one and a half times larger then the OSX drive why not have more be more and more be better. The logic in the reply seems sound to me. :)

That said, I agree with you that the TM backup should be deleted and restarted. I would go one small step farther and reformat the external. :eek:

An to the OP, TimeMachine is not perfect and no single backup should ever be relied on as sufficient for a good night's sleep. :apple:

5. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

There's no perfect formula, but a TM partition should be some multiple of the current and predicted size of a total backup to allow for a reasonable "look back" time. For example, I have a 1TB external for both TM and SuperDuper!, with 320GB dedicated to SD (~2X the amount of data on the current internal), and the remaining 680GB devoted to TM.

Right at the moment, that gives me TM sets back to October 4th plus 105GB yet to use. The only excluded items are my ~/Downloads and/Users/Shared directories. Everything else is backed up, including my VMs. Beyond that, I have a total backup of it all to Mozy.

Am I paranoid? No, just experienced. :eek: It's up to you to decide how far back you want to go, the criticality of any particular data history, and to what degree you care to "simplify" any recovery efforts.

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

What purpose would buying a larger drive serve, then? The drive in question is at least 50+70 = 120 GB of space for 42 GB of data. It's obviously a TM issue and has nothing to do with hardware.

Unless the OP magically added 100 GB of data to his drive, buying a larger external isn't the answer.

7. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

Yes, carefully.

A larger hard drive, especially since they're fairly inexpensive, would probably eliminate the problem and give the OP an archive of backups, which is one of TM's strengths.

Your math is a wee bit simplistic judging by the way TM calculates its needs. Please see this. It's not directly on point, but it does imply that just because you have 42GB of data, you may need more than/less than/some other number of GB for your TM backup.

You noted he excluded folders. Great. As the OP said, something changed suddenly. Maybe an old, existing and large database got updated. Maybe he swapped out a 100 mp3's for 100 new mp3's. Or maybe TM thinks it now has to backup his swapfiles or system logs. Or maybe he made a change that seemed trivial at the time, but TM now needs to make a major alteration in its practices.

And destroy data in the process. A last resort.

mt

8. akcasoy thread starter macrumors member

Guys first of all i do know that any app. may create some GB that i didnt realise (which can cause this issue) but i am pretty sure there is anything like this..

Here is my current sitation:
    i formatted the disk and again connected with TM.. Same TM settings with same excluded folders etc.. Here is a screenshot:
    http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/6210/screenshot20100121at127.png

(Just now it seems 50..before it was 32GB needed)

And it backed up.. without error.. now the only thing changed was the disk formatted.. Any settings did not change in MacOsX

Here is the capacity of external:
    http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/132/screenshot20100121at130.png

But.. surprisingly on the 2. day of backup.. still i have 95GB free space..and still there seems 50GB backup size needed.. I am having the same error..
    here it is :
    http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/9599/screenshot20100121at133.png

I think this is a TM issue... but how can i fix this?

9. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

As the third graphic says, TM needs work space as well as the space for the backups, which adds up to more space than you have available.

One option could be to exclude the Applications folder. Nearly everything there should be from a DVD or available online, correct?

mt

10. akcasoy thread starter macrumors member

But my all harddrive is 140GB.. and i am telling it to backup just 30-40 of this.. how can it need 3times backup size more, just for its working principle.. is enough strange. If i just copy the folders and some necessary files manually, it will work better than this TM.

11. Corrode macrumors 6502a

Corrode

Not sure if this will help but just throwing it out there as it solved my TM problem.

Are you running a torrent app while trying to backup. I was and was getting the "not enough space" error. Different from your error, but and error nonetheless. I rebooted and made sure to backup before opening any apps. It worked fine.

For me, it seemed that if it tried to backup while a file size was increasing on the HD, then it wouldn't estimate my disk usage properly.

Hope that helps.

12. georgegarrigues macrumors newbie

This is interesting. Could it be that you were working on something in an open application while TM was trying to back up?

:confused::confused:Sincerely, your friend, George

13. akcasoy thread starter macrumors member

no. i have tried maybe 10 times.. same error always..
    i gave up using TM, installed superduper.