Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gsusser

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 20, 2012
Medellín, Colombia
I have an iMac with a 2TB internal drive. I have an Airport Time Capsule with a 2 TB drive. The iMac has under 1TB on it. A few days ago, I got a backup failure stating there wasn't enough room on the Time Capsule - it needed something over 1TB. This is very confusing.

The only change I made, and I have a feeling this has something to do with it, I swapped out another external drive because it failed. It's the same exact drive and I gave it the same exact name. I'm thinking it's trying to backup that drive now even though I have it excluded in my backup preferences. I also ejected it but still had the same problem.

I'm working with Apple support... both devices are under Apple care. I spoke with a senior tech and he's scheduled for a call back. But something he said didn't sound right. He said the Airport wasn't meant to be used as a hard drive which is how I use it. I don't use it for wi-fi. He thought that could be causing my problem. He wants to change the configuration to replace my Verizon FIOS router with the Airport. Does this make sense?

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I have an iMac with a 2TB internal drive. I have an Airport Time Capsule with a 2 TB drive. The iMac has under 1TB on it. A few days ago, I got a backup failure stating there wasn't enough room on the Time Capsule - it needed something over 1TB. This is very confusing.

The only change I made, and I have a feeling this has something to do with it, I swapped out another external drive because it failed. It's the same exact drive and I gave it the same exact name. I'm thinking it's trying to backup that drive now even though I have it excluded in my backup preferences. I also ejected it but still had the same problem.

I'm working with Apple support... both devices are under Apple care. I spoke with a senior tech and he's scheduled for a call back. But something he said didn't sound right. He said the Airport wasn't meant to be used as a hard drive which is how I use it. I don't use it for wi-fi. He thought that could be causing my problem. He wants to change the configuration to replace my Verizon FIOS router with the Airport. Does this make sense?

Try removing and readding the drive from the exclusion list. Also repair permissions on Macintosh HD.

Worst case scenario, rename the external hard drive. Simply click it once and rename it in Finder.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.