Time Machine backup from laptop to network shared drive

Discussion in 'macOS' started by sandman42, Feb 28, 2008.

1. sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

I would like to use Time Machine to back up my MacBook to an external drive connected to my desktop (a Mac Mini) over my wireless network, so I don't have to keep plugging an external drive into the laptop. This should work ok for the incremental back-ups (they're usually <20Mb at a time), but the initial backup will take days over my 'g' network.

I hoped I could do the initial backup by connecting the external directly to the laptop (firewire) then do subsequent backups over the network, but when I tried this and re-connected to the drive as a network drive, Time Machine didn't see the it as the same drive, ignored my previous backup, and started doing a new initial backup.

Any ideas how I might be able to do the inital backup via firewire, then re-connect to the drive via the network and have Time Machine understand that it's the same drive?

2. himansk macrumors regular

use Ethernet instead of wireless for the initial transfer

3. sandman42 thread starter macrumors 6502a

sandman42

Thanks for the reply. I'm not trying to use wireless for the initial transfer -- I connected the external drive directly to the laptop via firewire.

Can I connect the laptop directly to the desktop computer via ethernet, and access the desktop's external drive as a shared network drive? If so it seem like this would solve the problem, as long as the laptop sees it as the same drive when I later connect via wireless.