Time Machine Backup from Macbook to Mac Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by kxfrog, Aug 13, 2009.

1. kxfrog macrumors regular

I have a backup drive in my mac pro is it possible to backup my macbook to the mac pro backup drive. Wirelessly or otherwise:confused:

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I don't think so. I think backup is only available when an external HDD is used and won't work if the HDD is in another computer.

3. kxfrog thread starter macrumors regular

please help!!!! is there any software or anything i can do to backup to my mac pro i dont want to go out and buy an external hard drive:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

4. ecking macrumors newbie

Unless you were to partian your mac pro's drive you'll have no such luck.

5. kxfrog thread starter macrumors regular

i have two seperate hard drives in my mac pro one for leo and win 7 and the other for backups can i partition my backup drive and use that to backup to from my macbook if so how?

6. kxfrog thread starter macrumors regular

7. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

If it is possible (which I doubt), the only way to do so is if you put your Mac Pro into Target Disc Mode but even if you do that, I don't know if you will see all HDD's in your Mac Pro or just the main HDD with OS X on it. The whole point of Time Machine is to separate your backup data from the/a main computer so that if you're computer fails, your data is protected. With your method, it kind of defeats the whole purpose. Why don't you just get another external HDD and make that as a backup or take out the HDD in your Mac Pro, put it in an enclosure and make it an external HDD?