Time Machine backup from Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by elijahone, Aug 11, 2010.

1. elijahone macrumors newbie

My Macbook has not been running very stable and I decided to restore from a backup via Time Machine. My problem is my install disks are Leopard (10.5) and my backups are from Snow Leopard (10.6).

I installed Snow Leopard from an Upgrade disk which I don't still have.

I have no luck restoring the Snow Leopard backups. My question is, how would I recover these backups without the Snow Leopard install disk? Is it possible or do I need to do a fresh install, upgrade then enter time machine via the OS itself?

ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED! thanks!!

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

3. elijahone thread starter macrumors newbie

No, do you recommend trying this? How would I go about it?

Thanks for your reply!

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It can be found from Applications > Utilities. It can migrate everything from the TM backup, so you can do a clean install of Snow Leopard and then at the end of the installation, it asks you if you want to migrate, select yes and from Time Machine backup. The restore feature in Time Machine has never worked for me but MA has never betrayed me.

So, a clean install of 10.6 and then migration from the Time Machine backup. Feel free to ask more

5. elijahone thread starter macrumors newbie

great, thanks for explaining that. I'll get a new 10.6 upgrade disk once I do a fresh install with 10.5. Same thing isn't it?

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You don't need 10.5 to install 10.6. You could just use 10.5 if you want, Migration Assistant should work with it too, even though the backup is from 10.6. Otherwise, don't install 10.5, just get 10.6 straight away and use it for clean install

7. elijahone thread starter macrumors newbie

once again thanks for your reply. It's a big help

Is the 10.6 upgrade disk the same as the full OS disk. I am guessing you choose to to upgrade from Leopard or full install of Snow Leopard when you insert the disk?

8. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Yeah, it's full disc even though it's sold as "upgrade". By default, it will just install it on top of Leopard but if you want to do a clean install, you have to erase the HD with Disk Utility

9. elijahone thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. You have been a great help. I'll let you know how I go.

Nice avatar btw, Black Metal!!! \m/