Time Machine Backup Help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bbishop93, May 19, 2014.

1. bbishop93 macrumors regular

So previously I setup my time machine to backup on my external HDD, when I ran out of time, I turned off Time Machine at like 9% or so, safely ejected my HDD, and then just now I plugged it in to resume the backup and it showed it there on my time machine, but I could not find a resume button or anything. So I removed it as a backup disk to then hopefully re-add it and start the process all over. After doing so, time machine won't even pick up my external now, neither will finder. I can see it and all its info in disk utility and I was able to verify and repair the disk... but it still won't show up in time-machine. Is it just me or did Time Machine just completely brick my external? It still lights up and the fans are going and I can see it in disk utility so it has to be working no? Anyone know how to fix/troubleshoot this?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I would remove the disk from the Time Machine settings then use Disk Utility to erase the disk again and start over in Time Machine.

3. bbishop93 thread starter macrumors regular

I already tried this thats what caused it to not show up anymore, right now Time Machine wont even find it, nor finder.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

When you plug it in and start Disk Util, select the drive brand name (like 1TB Seagate or whatever) above the volume name then go to the erase tab and erase the entire disk. See if that works.

5. bbishop93 thread starter macrumors regular

This worked thank you.