Time Machine Backup HELP.!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by DonBits, Jun 19, 2014.

1. DonBits macrumors newbie

I know the first backup will take a lot of time but it's been about 4-5 hours now so I'm not sure if there's a problem or not.

Here is my initial concern:

This is the first backup of my iMac, there's not alot of big files.

- It is creating multiple windows, and
    - the time bar on the right is showing a new purple bar time stamped every hour.
    - It appears each window created has much of the same files.

Also at the top of the window it has been showing "Searching"all my files"" since the beginning till now.

Please let me know if this is all normal.

Also, can I shut it off and continue again tomorrow ...if so how do i do that?

Thanks guys and gals!

2. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Multiple windows? Or do you mean folders? It's normal to have many folders show up on the destination hard disk and to "appear" to have a lot of duplicate files - you're best off not trying to look in backups.backupdb at all manually in Finder, you'll just be tempted to monkey with something & no good can come of that.

Can you upload a screenshot? Command-Shift-3 saves a screenshot to your desktop.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It sounds like you clicked the Time Machine menu and selected "Enter Time Machine" and you are looking at this screen. That will not be of any use until the Time Machine backup is complete, so just let it finish.

No you cannot shut it off and resume. Just let it run.

[​IMG]