Time Machine backup inaccessible after clean install of Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Ghostrelm, Jan 12, 2011.

1. Ghostrelm macrumors newbie

I backed up a full hard drive from a macbook pro running 10.6 with time machine to a partitioned 3 TB HD networked to the latest Airport Extreme.

I did a clean install of Snow Leopard from a SnowLeopard install disc, not the 10.6 disc that came with the unibody macbook pro. ( The person im helping out lost the original.) I ran the software updater until everything was current.

I went back to retreive stuff from the time machine backup, and I cannot access the user folder. [​IMG]

However, I CAN access the user folder from MY macbook pro running 10.5.

What can I do to enable access on the unibody macbook pro running 10.6?
    Why can I access the folder on my older macbook pro running 10.5?

The HD is partitioned into two even partitions. I have the same problem when trying to access through the network, or directly plugged into the laptop.

Im sure I left out some information, as I just spent a good 45 minutes writing up a detailed post about this problem, but when I hit "submit new thread" it said i wasn't logged in anymore, so I apologize if I left any vital information out.

Thanks in advance.

2. yayitsezekiel macrumors 6502a

yayitsezekiel

when you connect to the server, you need to re-input your server username and password. Same thing happened to me.

3. Ghostrelm thread starter macrumors newbie

I entered the username and password.

I can access anything on that backup EXCEPT the User folder. I have accessed the networked hard drive after the clean install.

4. Cphaggar macrumors newbie

The way I've worked around this issue in the past is by opening the folder while loged in as the original user who made the folders, then taking the individual folders within that locked folder and moving them Out of the locked folder and into a new folder. This is a little bit of a hassle, but will allow you to access all of your old information on your new admin account.

make sure your new user has full admin access too.

Sorry I can't think of a better fix other than this workaround.

5. Ghostrelm thread starter macrumors newbie

How can I log in as the original user after I did a full clean installation of Snow Leopard? I wiped the hard drive. :rolleyes:

6. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

7. Ghostrelm thread starter macrumors newbie

The whole purpose of a clean install was to get rid of everything, and only put selected things back on the hard drive.

I don't want to put all 480GB back on the 500GB hard drive, or I would have just restored from the backup.